Monday, September 21, 2015

Iron Girl 5k

    It's been a long time since I wrote a blog. I don't have a good excuse. Just had nothing super fascinating to write about. I don't know if writing about a 5k will be super fascinating, but here goes. 

   I signed up to run the Iron Girl 5k in March 2015. It was billed as a run/walk. So I had a little leeway. I could surely get into running shape by then. After all I had seven months to prepare.  On one the days I was trying to run. It was a really hot summer day. I mumbled to myself. I am going to die. This heat is sucking the life out of me. And then I look up and see a turkey vulture circling above my head. That is when I yelled out, I wasn't serious, you dumb bird!

    On the day I hadn't prepared well enough and had to walk. I am still proud of myself. I finished and I wasn't last. Even though someone finished last. They should be proud of themselves. They finished! And even if someone didn't finish. Well at least they tried. How many people out there don't even try? And I now know what a 5k is like and I know how to prepare.

   On race day. I had to get up super early. Even before dawn. I am not a morning person. I never was a morning person. I think there is no coincidence between the word morning and mourning. And considering my age. It will take a miracle for me to become a morning person. I was going to drink some Carnation Instant Breakfast Essentials. When I got up. My stomach felt a little off. So I decided that I shouldn't drink the Carnation. When we got to where the race was located. I had an anxiety attack and I wanted to go home. I made myself to go to the starting line.




   Waiting to get started. I had such a terrible upset stomach. I had never done anything like this before. And there were so many people. I am such an introvert. So this was very taxing. We introverts would choose to hide in the house over getting out with a group of strangers. Not one of them would talk to me. Even though I smiled. I made eye contact. Felt almost like the new girl on the Elementary School playground. A lot of women were signed up for the Half Marathon. I cannot know the state of mind of any of the participants.

Waiting is the hardest part


   The officials had delayed the Half Marathon by fifteen minutes. Since some of the runners of the Half Marathon were stuck in traffic. So the 5k was also delayed. This wasn't good for my stomach. My stomach, nerves and I don't like new things. I wanted to run away before the race ever started.  Then again I have always done that. I always run away from things. There is a saying, When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Well for me, when the going got tough. I went home and hid. I didn't want to do that again.  I want to change that part of my life.

   So we finally got to start and I did run a little bit. I did run a very little bit. Couldn't run the whole way so I walked. There were others walking, too. So I didn't feel so bad at my failure. About a half mile in. My stomach let me know that eating or drinking anything for breakfast would have been a very bad idea. I am so glad that I passed on food. Three fourths of the way through the 5k, I thought if I looked up in the sky. I should see a turkey vulture circling above my head.

   Almost done a lady who was a lot faster than me said. You are almost done. It's all down hill from here. It wasn't all downhill. At least I knew that I was almost done. Then I finally finished. And even though I am not a high caliber athlete. I know why some people cry when they finish. All the pent up emotion just comes flooding out. It is such a release.

   I got my race day pictures recently. I may buy one. They look positively horrid. You know those people that look ravishing and photogenic. Even after doing a 5k? I am *not one of them. I looked like I had just done a monumental amount of exercise. It had also started drizzling. Which was wonderful since I was so warm. The rain didn't contribute to my looks at all.

   On race day morning. I swore that I would never do another one of these things. Then I caught the bug. I like doing these things. And if I can do one that benefits charity, even better.



    **NOTE** This is my journey. Your Journey maybe very different. One thing I know for sure. You should always check with your doctor before beginning any exercise routine. **NOTE**

No comments:

Post a Comment