Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Yummy Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower

I prefer to start with fresh cauliflower, but you could use frozen. I think it would be more work to strain the water out of frozen.

Boil for forty five minutes to an hour. You want the Cauliflower to be really mushy done and falling apart.

Strain it

After mashing it, put it back in the colander and mash it again to remove extra water. This step may seem tedious and unnecessary, but without it your mashed cauliflower will be watery. Trust me that isn't good.

After mashing and straining. Put it back in the pot. Mix in two tablespoons of butter, 3/4 cup of cheese and 1/4 cup of milk. I use skim milk, but you could use whatever you like. I  also like a sharp white cheddar. The sharpness of the cheddar balances out with the mildness of the added milk and cauliflower. I have also used mozzarella. It is good, but it has a very mild flavor.

Mix the butter, cheese and milk in. In that order. So everything melts. And then you have lovely mashed cauliflower. It is a nice change from mashed potatoes. Possibly [not] any healthier than mashed potatoes, but different. I like mashed cauliflower as much as I like mashed potatoes. And this girl loves her mashed taters.

No comments:

Post a Comment