Saturday, March 8, 2014

I Wish that Love was like a Jane Austen Novel (but Only the End)

    I must confess, I am a huge fan of Jane Austen's writings. Even though we lived two centuries apart. The funny thing is that she was born in 1775 and I was born in 1975. Though the similarities end there. I really love her novels. I even love the movies that are made from her novels. Although I would never fancy myself a modern day Jane Austen. I would like to think that maybe she would like to read my blog. 

     The only movie I didn't like was a recent version of Mansefield Park. I am a purist when it comes to these things. That particular movie took too many liberties. It made Sir Thomas Bertram seem like a creepy uncle and his wife a cheap floosy. I stopped watching half way through the movie.

     Even though these days her novels are mild. I would be willing to bet that a woman daring to challenge the status quo would be considered scandalous. Back then marriage was more of a business proposition. If you were a poor girl. It was your hope to marry well. If you happened to fall in love in the process that was just icing on the cake. I think many a girl married a man that they could barely tolerate. If she didn't get married to somebody (anybody) and have sons. Then after her father died, she was at the mercy of her brothers and uncles.

     Right about now I can only guess what you are thinking? Perhaps you are thinking. You want life to be hard for poor single women? You want a woman to be forced into a marriage of convenience. So that she can produce an heir and have someone to take care of her? Oh no! That isn't what I mean at all.  A marriage to someone that you cannot respect or love would be a drudgery.

     What I would love to happen real life that always happens in these novels is this. The poor girl with no connections always ends up deliriously happy by the end of the book. Whether she marries the proud Mr. Darcy or the humble Mr. Ferars. It would be my hope that every woman would end up deliriously happy, with someone that loves them madly. That my friends would be fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment